Street art is on everybody’s radar at the moment. Led by the mainstream fame and commercial success of artists such as Banksy, urban art is now more popular, prevalent and talked about than ever. Ever since the graffiti boom of the 1980s Paris has been one of the centres of the street art movement and today hosts some of the best known and talented artists in the world. On this walk we explore the seldom toured Parisian suburbs of Belleville and Menilmontant. They were once villages on the outskirts of the city and this atmosphere can still be found today if you know where to look. They are areas with large ethnic minority communities and have been somewhat neglected by the mainstream over the years. Now though the squats are being closed and longterm residents being driven out by rising rent prices. So don’t delay! Leave the tourist crowds behind and come explore this fascinating part of town before it’s too late.
How long will this tour take?
Approximately 2 hours
What will I see on the tour?
- Street art by international superstars and local artists such as; Jef Aérosol, Invader, Gregos, Miss-Tic, Nemo and Jérome Mesnager
- The home of the Paris commune, the revolutionary movement in 1871 Marx considered the first real dictatorship of the proletariat
- Squats and artists’ communities
- The Parc de Belleville
- The highest point in Paris
- Areas with some of the most intense resistance fighting during Nazi occupation
- Fabulous, little known views of the city and the Eiffel Tower
- The steps where Edith Piaf was born
- ‘Le petit ceinture’, the abandoned railway which encircles the city
… and much more!
Obviously by its very nature street art is temporary and transient. Works by the artists mentioned cannot be guaranteed to be seen on your specific tour, but the route and knowledge of your guide will include the most likely spots to find great art and one thing that can be guaranteed is spotting fantastic street art of some kind! Check out work from some of the most well-known names before you tour, in the gallery.
How do I book?
Easy! Click here to arrange your private tour
Interested in street art around the world? See some great street art outside of Paris in the international gallery.